Delirium.

10:08 PM

Delirium (Delirium, #1)Delirium by Lauren Oliver

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Rating: 5 stars

I wholeheartedly think that this is one of the best books I have read EVER. While I am a fan of Lauren Oliver's writing style, I never expected to love this book and enjoy it as much as I did. It came to me as a huge shock and I was pleasantly surprised at how gripped I was by the story. Most of all how affected I was by the words and the characters. I am in total awe by this book. to be honest, I picked it up partly 'cos I like Lauren Oliver and partly 'cos of all the hype this book was getting ever since its release. I am not a huge fan of YA novels, so imagine how surprised I was when I realized that I was trying to prolong the story as much as possible for fear of finishing it. IT WAS THAT GOOD.

The story is encapsulated with the caption on the cover, "What is love were a disease?". That is the essence of the novel. It is set in a futuristic, dystopian United States where scientists have found that the root of all conflicts and violence is in fact, love. Or the ability to feel strongly. The logic is that if one is 'cured' of love, then one would naturally be unable to feel hate. So, Love was officially a deadly disease. The public, at the age of 18, would have to go through a procedure where their brains are altered and they will no longer be able to love after. The story follows the protagonist, Lena, who is counting down eagerly to the date of her procedure as she was incredibly terrified of this 'disease'. Her mother and father had died 'cos of the disease. Her mom committed suicide after the procedure failed to 'cure' her after several attempts. That traumatised her. All her life, she thought of the peace and stability the cure would offer her (not knowing that this was all a lie). Until she met Alex and she was introduced to a stunning world outside of the protective bubble of Portland. And her world is turned upside down.

I don't even know where to begin. I have nothing negative to say about this book at all. The pacing was perfect. It started out slow and dreary to reflect the stale lives of the cured people who live without love and feelings. Then as it continues, it picks up and gains momentum and towards the end, I was literally at the edge of my seat, gripping the pages in excitement and horror. The world, in itself, was a really scary and terrifying place. The author did such a great job describing the rules and propaganda. The stifling nature of the city, that is built on lies. And the 'regulators' who are sort of the 'policemen' that catch Invalids and infected citizens were truly horrifying. They are completely vicious and merciless thanks to their lack of emotion or sympathy. They scared the crap out of me.

The characters were FANTASTIC!! Lena, at first, was a timid, goody-two-shoe. I got abit annoyed at her at first and then slowly we learn of her background and the reasons why she acts that way. She grows on you and towards the end when she grows and develops into someone filled with courage and love. I ended up rooting for her, hoping that she would somehow be safe and come out a hero. Her relationship with Alex is another reason why I like her so much. Alex is the most perfect, awesome person ever. Not just in superficial sense, but the bravery he possesses and the vulnerability that he allowed Lena to see, made me fall in love with him as the story went on. He seemed not like a dreamy, unattainable guy. But instead, a real and genuinely good person, which made me love him more. Together, their love for each other surpasses any young adult love stories I have read. It felt intense and true and sincere. It was all-consuming without being overly dramatic and did not sound fairy-tale-like. The moments that they shared in the book touched me. So much so that you just want them to be happy and together. The only word that comes to my mind when describing their love is 'powerful'.

The other characters were well-developed as well. Which is why I loved the writing so much. It somehow manages to incorporate everyone. Hana, Lena's best friend, was a spunky girl who acted brave to hide her fears. And Grace, Lena's niece, who was the opposite. She looked fragile but was actually incredibly strong. Aunt Carol and Rachel made me wanna punch them. But I do realize that it is the Cure and the government that is making them act that way.

I cannot go on enough about how much I love this book. However, for those picking up this book, thinking that it will be an action adventure dystopian novel (like divergent), they will be sorely disappointed. 'Cos while this story is packed with its own fair share of heart-thumping action (especially towards the end), it focuses more on the the world that Lena lives in and the messages that the author is trying to put across. Which is to fight for what you believe in and not to be afraid to dream and be different, despite what the institutions and society tells you. To love without holding back, no matter how hard it may seem. To realize that bravery comes in all shapes and forms. To realize where we stand in the grander scheme of things. There are TOO MANY great messages within this novel. So I recommend this to EVERYONE. Everyone should read this.

I love how Lauren Oliver starts each chapter with a quote or poem or a small extract that tells us more about the type of world that Lena lives in (which is HORRIBLE one). I really do LOVE her writing style. It hits me right at the heart and I can't help but feel for the characters.

I HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK. It made me laugh, smile, gasp and cry (like buckles, in public, which is so bloody embarrassing). I am so excited to hear that there will be a sequel (although I dunno how the plot would be able to move on after what happened, but I am excited nonetheless). This is probably gonna be one of my all time favourites. There were as many exciting things as there were sad and beautiful things within its pages. And when I was done, so many phrases and scenes were wedged in my mind and I replayed them again and again.

It is so so so amazing.



View all my reviews

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook