White Nights

12:02 AM

I just read this really wonderful short story called, "White Nights" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Highly recommended, now that I'm done reading it). I only started to read it after watching the movie 'Saawariya' which I had wrote about earlier, and my extreme love & respect for Sanjay Leela Bhansali. That movie was a loose interpretation of this short story. So I managed to get my hands on it and started reading it.

OMG.

IT IS SO SAD. =((

I think unrequited love is one of the saddest things a person can experience in his/her lifetime. I pray that it will never happen to me. The narrator of the story loved Nastenka SO much that he gave her away to live a life with the one she truly loved and unfortunately it wasn't him. She left him the moment her 'true love' came for her, eventhough she was planning to settle for the narrator. I was SO UPSET for him. I got so pissed at her. Though I suppose she couldn't help it. But the last lines he said where he still loves her no matter what and all he ever wants is for her to be happy. And that he will live with that one moment of happiness for the rest of his life.

I ALMOST DIED OF HEARTACHE. I started tearing up. It was the saddest thing ever, eventhough he tried to sound as happy as he can. It just emphasized his sadness.

But to imagine that I should bear you a grudge, Nastenka! That I should cast a dark cloud over your serene, untroubled happiness; that by my bitter reproaches I should cause distress to your heart, should poison it with secret remorse and should force it to throb with anguish at the moment of bliss; that I should crush a single one of those tender blossoms which have twined in your dark tresses when you go with him to the altar.... Oh, never, never! May your sky be clear, may your sweet smile be bright and untroubled, and may you be blessed for that moment of blissful happiness which you gave to another, lonely and grateful heart!

My God, a whole moment of happiness! is that too little for the whole of a man's life?


I need tissues. PRONTO. *blows nose*

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook