Pursuit of Happyness

4:53 PM


The Pursuit of Happyness stars a not-so-hot Will Smith and his real son, Jaden. To tell you the truth, I wasn't really into watching the movie. I thought it sounded like a drag and that it's one of those super depressing movies that makes you feel like life isn't worth living and stuff like that. But then, I watchd the trailer and I almost TEARED while watching the trailer. Then, I was thinking to myself... If I was already so touched while watching the TRALIER, imagine how the movie would be like. Besides, I haven't watched a really thoughtful, touching serious movie for a long time. It's been more blockbusters, ghost flicks and action flicks for a long time and I was really missing the feeling that you get after watching a really good, quality movie. The type that makes you REALLY feel for the characters in it.

If you're expecting the usual Will Smith blockbuster flick (eg. Men In Black, Bad Boys 2), don't even bother to watch this movie. This movie is based on the true story of this dude named Chris Gardner and his hard life. And believe me, his life is REALLY hard. It almost makes ours look like a walk in the park. Chris spent his entire life-savings on these Portable Osteo Bone Density Scanners, which he had to sell to make a living. He thought it was a great investment. But what he didn't know that hospitals don't need that kinda stuff anymore and they think of it as a luxury than a necessity. So, it was really, really hard for him to sell them off. His wife had to work double shifts and they were finding it difficult to make ends meet. Then, his wife couldn't take it anymore and left him. (That woman SUCKS, by the way. I hate her.) Chris made a vow that he'll always be a great dad to his son, Christopher. That's 'cos he had a bad childhood in which he never knew his own father. So, he refused to give his wife the custody of his son. His wife finally just left the both of them and headed off to New York. Chris took in his son eventhough, he didn't even have enough money to fend for himself. Later, he decided to take up an internship in this big shot company to become a stockbroker. 'Cos he heard that all you need to be a stockholder is to be good with numbers and good with people. You see, Chris is not a stupid dude. NO, in fact, he's one smart guy! He was always top in class. The problem was that he couldn't afford to go to a good school or afford to go to university and further his studies. So, he had a really low qualification. But he was determined to get the job and make a better life for his son. The problem with internship is that there's no salary. So, he would have to sell those Bone Density Scanners AND study for his internship AND take care of his son. Somehow, he managed to juggle those things and he thought things were going well (he managed to sell off all his Scanners) when suddenly, the government made Charis pay for a large amount of tax. And without notifying him, they just went into his bank account and took out all his money. All he had left was $21.30. He was thrown out of his rented apartment with his son. He had no place to stay. No money. No nothing. They walked around aimlessly trying to find a place to sleep for the night. It was so heartbreaking. Even then, he continued with his internship. He was determined to get the job. And let me tell you, this guy is damn unlucky. EVERYTHING just happens to him. Everything just HAD to go wrong. But Chris kept going, even when he was on the brink of giving up on everything. He kept going, for his son. In the end, it paid off and he was offered the job.

Will Smith is simply phemnominal in the movie. His acting is just... superb. He says the lines with so much depth and feeling. You just immediately start rooting for him. There were some really, REALLY touching moments in the movie and some really, REALLY sad ones. I would look at Jenny and Keetha who were sitting beside me 'cos I was afraid that I was the only one who was bawling like a big baby. But I could see they were tearing too! It was SO heartwrenching when Chris and his son had to resort to sleeping in a public toilet one night. And SO touching when he gave his son the BEST advice I think any parent could give their own child. And not to mention, Jaden is super, super cute in the movie. And he's a REALLY good actor for a tiny kid. I HIGHLY recommend that you all watch this movie. You'll be SO inspired to get off your butts and start DOING something with your life. It's truly a heart-warming story, with superb acting. Please, please watch it, people!

There are some parts in the movie that are really scary to me. Not like Ju-On scary but so close to reality it's scary kindda scary. Like when Chris Gardner said in a voice-over, "I have always loved the feeling when I get an A for my tests. I would think of all the great things I'm gonna be when I'm older... and I never became one of them."I got goosepimples when I heard this line... scared the crap out of me.

Christopher Gardner: [to his son] You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.

Yesterday night, I went to the house of the beautiful people. It wasn't too bad this time. No mega blows to my self-esteem as I usually get after mingling with them. But then, I found out something that scared the crap out of me. A hint that my preconceived notions about my future may very well be true. This is a close-knit family... And they don't really welcome outsiders. =S I hope my uncles are either wrong or joking.

You're ebbing away;
Your priorities, I can't say.
AmI simply in your way?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook